1. Hideo Kojima Hates Being Called "Kojima-San"
In Japanese, Kojima-San roughly translates to "Mr. Kojima". Instead, Kojima prefers to be called Kojima Kantoku, Kantoku being a title that many Japanese movie directors use.
He is the only game director to be called this in Japan. His explanation is that he believes the Japanese game directors are superior to movie directors and by extensions he thinks he belongs up there with them.
2. Hal "Otacon" Emmerich is named after Kojima's favorite film director, Roland Emmerich
Roland Emmerich is one of Kojima's favorite directors, so he snuck in a reference in Metal Gear Solid. Otacon's first name, Hal, is also a direct reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey.
3. Hideo Kojima is friends with the Wachowski Siblings
In 1999 Hideo Kojima and the Wachowskis were interviewed for an issue of Famitsu. The Wachowski siblings even approached Kojima at a later date to discuss making a Matrix video game, though that never panned out.
4. Hideo Kojima tries to watch one movie per day
While he has multiple favorite movies, Martin Scorcese's Taxi Driver and Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Spacey Odyssey top his list.
5. Kojima is a recruitable character in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
There's a long history of creators adding themselves to their own fictional universes.Yet Kojima may be one of the first major video game creators to do such a thing.
6. Kojima's 70-yr-old mother played completely through Metal Gear Solid 3.
She was over 70 years old at the time, and it took over an entire year to complete the game.
7. Every single soldier has a unique appearance in Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
Each soldier's appearance is based off a real photograph and none of the faces are duplicated.